Not Quite Tutorial - Making a Great Yarn Pompom

Let's help each other learn the little things in our yarn crafts.  I'd love to share with you some of my tricks of the trade.  

First up - 

Large PomPoms


I have always been reluctant to make these fussy little nuggets, until recently. I just couldn't get them tied secure enough that the strings wouldn't eventually shed. Luckily, I recently discovered the secret to achieving a great pompom easily, and most importantly SECURELY. (Well, as secure as one can make a handmade pompom)

Here are the tools you will need:
A Pompom maker - bought or homemade*
A pair of SHARP scissors
A small slicker brush - to make it fluffy
A hot glue gun - this is the secret ingredient
YARN (not pictured) - acrylics and acrylic blends work well

I love the Bucilla wooden pompom maker, because it's so sturdy and easy to hold. Unfortunately, this tool may be discontinued. There are similar items on Etsy, and you can make them for free by cutting out cardboard discs customized to the size you need. There are many you tube videos available on that subject. *I find this tutorial by Red Ted Art to be excellent.

- Once your pom is made, put a dab of hot glue at the center of it. I actually add a couple of dabs, working my way around the core of the pom, making sure not to let the glue spread outward from the center. When it's cool, it's ready for the slicker brush.
- I purchased a small slicker brush at a dollar store, that I use exclusively for brushing yarn projects, and of course it's never been used on animal fur. Holding the pompom by the long strings, use the slicker to brush away at it until you're happy with the look. If the glue is done correctly, the slicker will not pull any of the strings out.
- Shape your pompom with scissors. Voila, you're done.


Try it out and drop me a comment to share your results!

Would you like to see another Love Knot Design Not-Quite tutorial? Check out my tips for *gasp* blocking acrylic yarn projects!

Comments