Headache Management ala Christy

After the earlier post, I had several folks ask me what I do to prevent or treat the migraines.  I reiterate that I don't have them so chronically that I need daily prescription preventives. And I'm thankful for that! 

So here is the list.  It isn't complete. It isn't scientifically proven.  It isn't based in prescription meds.

Minimize triggers - if you know them.  Personally I shun chocolate, raw onions, nitrates, MSG, bright sunlight, caffeine withdrawal, low blood sugar, and dehydration.

Timing is everything - The curse of the pre-headache "aura" is really a blessing in my case.  True, I can't see 50% of my field of vision, but it gives me about a 20 minute notice that I need to get meds on board before the headache actually hits.

OTC meds - I use Advil or Tylenol almost exclusively.  Tylenol is my first choice, because I have other issues that don't blend well with ibuprofen.  But many times, ibuprofen is the only thing that helps.  Experiment.  Excedrin works great for other folks I know.

Coffee or Tea - Aura + OTC + HUGE intake of caffeine before the headache hits.  If I can put that combination together, I usually minimize pain, duration, and side effects. 

Pressure Points- Messaging pressure points in my forearms, legs, hands, the bridge of the nose, and temples can work occasionally. 

Go Dark - I turn lights out and lay down for as long as feasible.

Heating Pad - This is usually applied to forehead or shoulders.

Lavender Oil - Sometimes the scent of pure lavender oil will help.  I don't use the nasty chemically stuff they put in cosmetics to make you think you're using lavender.  It doesn't work.

Hot bath - It relaxes the muscles of the back and neck, which goes a long way towards easing the headache too.  This is most effective if it's a stress induced headache.

Wintergreen Mints - I have no idea why.

Prescription Meds - I own them.  I hate them.  I use them only when everything else fails and I can't manage anymore. 

Duck Dive - It's taken me years to master it, and I can't do it for long. Think of it as a surfing metaphor.    I go deep in my mind and let the pain wash over me, like a surfer swimming out through the oncoming waves.  This takes focus and complete isolation, but basically one can go somewhere else in one's mind, some place where the pain isn't.   Sometimes it's necessary.

(Oh, and I pet my dog.  Because he's my comfort. He understands, and that's enough to help me through.)

There's thousands of sites on the Internet with different suggestions.  These are just the ones I find work for me.  And after all, I should know after 37 years of practice.

Feel free to comment with your helpful hints too!  I'm always open to new ideas for fighting the migraine devil.

Peace!

Comments