Just returned from a lovely long weekend in Concord, North Carolina. As usual, the kids' soccer lives dictate the destination of our summer excursions. But this soccer-trip was particularly enjoyable. Here are a few things that made it so pleasant.
- On the way to Concord, we drove along the Ocoee and Nantahala rivers, through some of the most gorgeous country in the US. Those with serious motion sickness problems should consider a preemptive dose of Dramamine before attempting this journey.
- Perfect weather! 80 degrees and clear with a 5-10 mph breeze. Glorious!
- North Carolina is just beautiful. Enough said.
- We didn't win our bracket, but the girls played well and made themselves proud. It will be an event the will never forget.
- The Courtyard Mariott was located close to the Concord Mils Outlet Mall...had a Starbucks in the hotel...and the room was big and comfortable. A great stay!
- Bonding with the other soccer parents over cold beer while the girls swim is fun no matter where you are.
- We got to see the Lowes Motor Speedway, well, the outside of it anyway. (check off an item on my "always wanted to see" list) That place is massive. We counted 32 entrance gates and camping areas that were bigger that a medium sized New Jersey township.
- The Great Wolf Lodge was right across the street. Had I known that before we planned the trip, we would have stayed there! As it was, we explored the place before we left for home, and it was awesome. Seems like every hour or so on the ride home, the youngest child pointed out how fun it would be to stay there someday. I quite agree. Don't know what a Great Wolf Lodge is? Check out the link. http://www.greatwolf.com/
- The siblings got along well the whole time. How unexpectedly enjoyable.
All in all, a winner for a fathers day weekend!