Monday, August 8, 2011

Warning this smacks of politics, but I don't mean to start a philosophical debate.

The loss of the members of SEAL Team 6 is truly aweful.  It's the loss of the highest caliber of men.  It's a national tragedy.  Today I was reading a few of the tidbits about their lives in a Yahoo article, which of course made me feel the loss a little more poignantly.    I then made the dreadful mistake of taking a look at some of the posts made by other readers.  This is what I found.

  • Some blame Obama.
  • Some blame Bush. 
  • Some see them as murderers and robers and deserve their fate. 
  • Some see the only way to honor them is to turn to Jesus. 
  • Some say the only way to peace is through Islam. 
  • Some can't understand why they sacrifice their lives fighting over who has the most powerful imaginary friend.
  • Some look to 2012 to fix everything. 
  • Some see the tragedy as a rallying point to kill more "rag heads"  (their words, not mine) 
  • A very few express condolences and pray for the souls of our fallen heros.

The hate-filled rhetoric is disgusting to read.  How in the world can Americans be One-Nation-Under-God and Indivisible, if we can't even agree that the loss of these brave soldiers is a singularly human tragedy?  A cause for united sadness.  It doesn't have anything to do with being a Republican, a Democratic, an Independent, a Tea Partier, a Christian, a Muslim or a Jew.  Americans can't agree what makes us "American" anymore and it's troubling to watch the rift grow wider all the time. 

I believe in the power of prayer, so I will continue to pray, quietly, for the healing of the great American divide.  If you are so inclined, I invite you to do the same.  If you are not the praying kind, I ask only this.  Please allow me the luxury of my own prayer without ridicule. 

God grant eternal rest to the fallen soldiers of SEAL Team 6, and all those brave men and women who have given their lives, so that I can live mine as I please.  Freedom isn't free.


1 comment:

  1. Very well expressed. I learned a long time ago to never read the comments on news articles. They always, immediately degenerate.

    ReplyDelete